I came across this informative presentation on what the digital landscape in Russia could look like. This presentation was done by Andrey Anischenko of Grape.
Of note are the following factoids:
1. Russia has the fifth largest population of Netizens after China, the US, Japan, and Germany
2. 62% of these are from one of the most elusive demographic group, the 15-34s
3. Social networks in Russia are HUGE: they spend 9.8hours on social networking sites versus the global average of 4.5hours (I am deducing per month - but it seems a bit low)
4. And nope, it ain't Facebook that dominates: the two two slots are dominated by two home-grown social media services, "B" (www.vkontakte.ru) and (www.odnoklassniki.ru). Twitter is not there yet - but it's popular with the geekfluentials and celebrities - and may therefore have potential.
5. "Augmented~social" is promising.
Here's the presentation.
(Thanks, Andrey Anischenko of Grape!)